Real Time Crossfire Mailing List Archive

CF: Direct Reading of Map Files

Regarding some messages I was reading through in the archives...

There was concern about text files as map definitions, and how people
could search for items with a simple look through the file...

I changed the permissions on all my maps from 665 to 331.  The game
seems to work fine, but map files are no longer directly accessible.  At
this time, maps are all I have done this to (all I know to do it to at
this point), but if other situations arise, I would think that this
would work also.

Also, in the tradition of MUDding, I believe that it is important for
people to easily create new maps, and each server not be using the same
default mapsets with the add-ons.  At the very least, I agree with the
other people out there that this needs to be more widely publicised, as
it is those people that we have not yet contacted that form a large part
of the MUDs, with their myriad contributions.

Keep up the good work!

Ryan P. Casey

-
by sending an email stating your wishes to ]