Crossfire Traffic | 2006-February
This is crossfire traffic for February 2006
Crossfire Traffic is a means to communicate the activity surrounding crossfire in an accessible and non-technical way, it is targeted at those who are curious about what is happening with the project, but find the existing mailing lists, CVS list. forum, wiki and IRC channels overly complicated, scary, or time consuming to read. As such it does not contain any background details, but instead focuses only on things that are user-visible.
Crossfire 1.9 is out!
Table of Contents:
- Mailing List
- In Bigworld
- New Monster
- New Items
Traffic on the mailing list dropped a little this month from the flurry of activity in January, but there were still many interesting topics discussed:
- Transports continued to be discussed, this has now lead to the first of these being implemented.
- More on features discussion for crossfire 2.0, in particular speed changes, and smoother movement.
- The possibility of working with the Daimonin developers in creating a single map editor for both projects.
- Maybe adding special testing code to the server, and cleaning up the existing code.
- The features that gcfclient2 is missing compared to gcfclient.
- Possible ways to fix an exploit where repeated PK-ing can give a great amount of exp.
- Running gcfclient on *nix systems with gtk2, and the problems this causes.
- The abandoning of a series of maps forming an ice castle, and subsequent mirroring of them elsewhere.
Changes that occurred this month:
- There are now transports in the game world. These can be boarded, and used to move around.
- As well as blocking types of movement, some objects can specifically allow movement on the squares they are in.
- Players can now be remotely arrested by dm's, and sent to their local prison.
- Create Food now works for objects which have a seperate poisoned version. (so casting "create food booze" should now work.)
- Starting items are now created in a locked state.
- A number of bugs concerning diagonally tiled maps should now be resolved.
- Applying a scroll without having the literacy skill no longer identifies it.
- Swamps should no longer "swallow up" other tiles on the same square.
- A possible case where random maps could go into an infinite loop was fixed.
- Dimension Door should now never teleport into monsters or earthwalls.
- Perl Plugin - scripts written in Perl can now be used by the server in a similar way to python scripts.
- Attack messages should now no longer contain random characters.
- The map scale has been properly defined, one square on the world map is one chain (66 feet, 22 yards or 11 fathoms)
- A new style of roads have been created.
- Scorn has acquired a small number of sailing boats.
- Greater Hellhounds may sometimes appear on random maps
- It is no longer possible to steal from the scorn sale shop with Word of Recall.
- Various types of ground now block or allow boats to pass as appropriate.
- Convertors for jade and amber coins.
- A display bug with the map view has been fixed.
- The map view now resizes if the map size is adjusted.
- Map Headers are all saved correctly.
- Pasting sections of a map now marks the map as "changed?"
- Items that are the inventory of other items are now shown indented.
- menu shortcuts now work
- the options under the "view" menu now work correctly.
- Autojoining of walls should work better.
- Worldmaker plugin should work again
- Doors, Button Triggers, Class Changers, Keys, and Grimreapers now each have their own options dialog
- Partial support for changing fonts
- Reverting a map maintains the position on the map view.
- Updated treasure and item details
- The arch and pixmap tabs now appear in alphabetical order.
- Cope better with unloadable maps
- allow creating maps that don't use smoothing.
You will need to update your client to see the effect of these.
- Clients can now connect to servers on different ports directly from the metaserver listing.
- Make the text displayed on trying to drop locked items more descriptive.
- watching stats in a script will now cope with multiple stat updates at the same time.
- Spell list is now cleared at login (fixing duplicate entries).
- The cached server list should now work properly
- Support IPv6 addresses.
- If a spell doesn't have a skill associated with it, it is displayed as a "generic" spell
- A Config window to set various options. (similar to the gcfclient config window)
- A keybinding window to allow keybindings to be created and modified. These can include keybindings using the meta- and alt- keys
- Spell selection window
- A space to manually enter server name in the metaserver window.
- The metaserver window can be sorted by various headers.