Real Time Crossfire Mailing List Archive

Re: CF: Direction, maps and balancing

Regarding the balancing of monsters/players:

(More a question than a comment, so message has been snipped)

XP on the MUD I used to play was done on a varying scale (the more you killed of one
thing, the less you got for that monster).  So, it was in your interest to find
newer, harder things to kill.  However, it is not easy at a glance to see whether you
are even possibly going to kill something or just get yourself killed quickly.

Is it possible to implement a 'consider' system, where you can look at a monster and
see whether you think you can kill it?  Here is a listing of what I remember from the
listings of 'consider' items (there were approx 8 levels as I recall).

    You are MAD!
    You probably wouldn't survive!
    Evenly Matched
    Fairly Easy
    Easy

For instance, you could look at a dragon from a distance and do a 'consider dragon'
before you ran up to it and tried to kill it.  If it said 'You probably wouldn't
survive!', you would usually run! :)

I just worry that with a balancing of players/monsters, and then the probable
expansion of Crosfire to a lot of servers around the world, all customizing, you
could not neccessarily rely on your experience to tell you what is easy and what is
hard.  And for all new players, there is no experience to draw on.

As a side note, other than people I accidentally push around in taverns and such
(maids, etc), are there any monsters that are non-aggressive?  I haven't been
throught the entire default world yet, so this is just a question... :)

Ryan P. Casey

-
by sending an email stating your wishes to ]