Real Time Crossfire Mailing List Archive

Re: CF: Direction, maps and balcing

On Thu, 10 Jun 1999, Ryan Casey wrote:

> Regarding the balancing of monsters/players:
>
> (More a question than a comment, so message has been snipped)
>
> XP on the MUD I used to play was done on a varying scale (the more you killed of one
> thing, the less you got for that monster).  So, it was in your interest to find
> newer, harder things to kill.  However, it is not easy at a glance to see whether you
> are even possibly going to kill something or just get yourself killed quickly.

Well, this is sorta implemented; 'easy kills' give less XP.

> Is it possible to implement a 'consider' system, where you can look at a monster and
> see whether you think you can kill it?  Here is a listing of what I remember from the
> listings of 'consider' items (there were approx 8 levels as I recall).

There already is, in the probe spell and probe items. Maybe we should
include that option as a default abililty tho (perhaps there could be
varying exactness, so the spells or rods give you more info about the
monster). Maybe we could have an option to show appropriate info in tint
coding on squares or monsters or something when a player wants the info.

> As a side note, other than people I accidentally push around in taverns and such
> (maids, etc), are there any monsters that are non-aggressive?  I haven't been
> throught the entire default world yet, so this is just a question... :)

Well, that is one part to what the current discussion about relations are
about :).

/David

-
by sending an email stating your wishes to ]