Real Time Crossfire Mailing List Archive

Re: CF: Relations, races and gods

On Fri, 11 Jun 1999, Mark Wedel wrote:
>  The other way would be to extend the map object (map file header) to include
> more of this.  One possibility would be a 'region xxxx' field, with the details
> of the regions being defined elsewhere lib/regions

Yep, that was pretty much how I meant. The region definition file would be
in lib/regions and maps would define which region they belong to.

>  How to all integrate that could be a bit more difficult (merging the region
> information into the object) - you probably don't want to have a an extra copy
> of all the arcehtypes, so instead you more need a definition that shop_floor
> should use some other treasurelist.

Well, either there could be specific treasurelists for regions, that would
override default treasurelists, or the treasure list for archetypes
specified in the region file could be set in the map.

>  It could be the easiest from a server standpoint to have the editor handle this
> - have the editor have some templates that it will apply on top of other objects
> (subrace, random items for the shops, whatever).  Now the same logic is more or
> less needed, but you don't have to worry about it dynamically changing, and with
> it in the editor, the efficiency of the code isn't a very big concern.

Yep, most stuff should probably be set in the editor. This would also
make it easier for consistency, since once you set the region of a map
you'll get consistent objects.

/David

-
by sending an email stating your wishes to ]