Crossfire 0.95.0 Announcement
This mention is only intented for the mailing list, and not the announcment list. The main reason is that the configuration has been switched to use autoconf instead of Imakefile's for both the client and server.
The servers itself seems reasonably stable - I can complete the newbie tower
without any problems. This hardly says it is perfect,
but it certainly is not so bugridden that that it is unplayable. In fact, the serve at whitestar.pyrsonal.org is now running 0.95.0.
The main change in 0.95.0 server is the removal of all X11 dependent code. This means you should be able to compile and run on a system lacking windowing binaries.
The main change in the 0.94.4 client is the merging of the gtk code plus various improvements.
Even if you don't plan to extensively use either the client or server, if you have the time, I would appreciate just downloading and trying to compile so I can have a good idea of the configure scripts are checking for all that is needed, or make further refinements.
Enclosed at the end of this message is a more detailed copy of the change
There are five separate tar archives in the Crossfire 0.94.3 distribution:
sums (bsd) filename
- 24151 195 client-0.94.4.tgz
- 19165 918 crossfire-0.95.0-arch.tgz
- 61063 3110 crossfire-0.95.0-maps.tgz
- 25370 1911 crossfire-0.95.0.tgz
- 143793e6109600026378dc49874dc152 client-0.94.4.tgz
- 930001cd972dab3287e0697df07d6397 crossfire-0.95.0-arch.tgz
- 28429af881d9d1838cb9b46b50a1e3cf crossfire-0.95.0-maps.tgz
- ace08fb80fd42f9102151f5f1050e88b crossfire-0.95.0.tgz
client-0.94.4.tgz is the client distribution.
crossfire-0.95.0.tgz contains the server code.
crossfire-0.95.0-arch.tgz is the archetypes. I am not sure what, if any, has changed. The change in the collect script has changed the order in which directories are traversed, so I can't just do a diff of the archetypes like I normally do to see teh changes.
crossfire-0.95.0-maps.tgz contains the maps. The only change I am aware of is the addition of per player apartment maps.
The sound and doc files should be unchanged. No patch file at this time - lots
of changes, and I haven't gotten around to moving
support into the new makefiles.
FOR FIRST TIME USERS: You will only need the appropriate server, map and client file. You do not need the arch file. If you just want to play the game at some remote server and have no interesting in compiling it, you may then want to get the doc file.
Crossfire is avaible on the following ftp sites
- ftp.pyramid.com:/pub/crossfire (18.104.22.168)
- ftp.ifi.uio.no:/pub/crossfire (22.214.171.124)
- ftp.real-time.com/pub/games/crossfire (126.96.36.199)
- yoyo.cc.monash.edu.au:/pub/crossfire (188.8.131.52)
- ftp.sunet.se:/pub/unix/games/crossfire (184.108.40.206)
- adams.humbug.org.au:/pub/crossfire (220.127.116.11) - Australian users only please.
I uploaded this version to just ftp.pyramid.com - it should be on the other ftp sites in a short time.